Assignment 1: LASA 2—Critiquing an Article
For this project, you will compose a researched response to Peter Singer’s article “America’s Shame.” In Module 4 Assignment 2, you were asked to provide your impressions of this article. In this assignment, you will take it a step further by constructing your own well-researched positions on the topic and offer thoughtful solutions to real-world problems. This assignment allows you to assess and defend the reasonableness of personal beliefs through critical assessment of Singer’s arguments and the presentation of your own, original arguments on the subject.
Review the following:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Singer, P. (2009). America’s shame. The Chronicle of Higher Education, 55(27), B6–B10. (EBSCO AN 37137370)
Develop a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation summarizing the main points of the article. Keep in mind that while bullet points are acceptable, complete sentences should be used throughout the presentation.
Complete the following:
- Describe the portions of Singer’s article you seek to engage/critique.
- Using the tools of evaluation you have learned throughout the course, create an original argument in response to Singer’s article that advances your own thesis in light of Singer’s argument. Clearly state your argument position, using complete sentences to do so.
- Remember the nature of the stance is not important; you can agree or disagree with any point Singer makes within this article. The important thing is you construct a stance that clearly engages a portion of Singer’s text. Including properly cited examples from the article is suggested.
- As you advance your own thesis, be sure to include your position on how to address the problems that Singer discusses in his article. Again, you may agree or disagree with Singer; however, be sure to offer your own solutions to the issue of world poverty, as discussed by Singer.
- Support your argument with the use of original research. Use at least three credible, academic resources to support your positions. These should be sources other than Singer’s “America’s Shame” article.
Develop a 12–15-slide presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint format. Be sure to include two additional slides—one for the title and the other for references. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A1.ppt.
Reading homework help