DeVry NR391Week 1 Discussion
Models of Transcultural Nursing (graded)
Chapter 1 of Andrews and Boyle (2016) discusses Leininger's sunrise model of transcultural nursing. However, other models are described and are important to acknowledge as well.Besides Leininger's model, what others are available? Describe one model and how you might apply it to your practice setting. An excellent resource may be found at the Transcultural Nursing Society's website (http://www.tcns.org) Click on the Theories tab.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
DeVry NR391Week 2 Discussion
Transcultural Nursing Skills Self-Assessment (graded)
Nurses complete assessments on individuals on a daily basis. Self-assessments are in order before considering our abilities to provide culturally competent nursing care.
1. Complete the Transcultural Nursing Skills Self-Assessment Form located in Doc Sharing.
2. Note the number of “no” answers in your self-assessment.
3. Share one or two of your “no” answers with your classmates and describe how you will convert the “no” to a “yes” over the next few weeks.
4. What interventions are needed to turn each “no” into a “yes” response?
DeVry NR391 Week 3 Discussion
Healthcare Needs of a Specific Minority Group (graded)
Describe the healthcare needs of a minority group in your city or town.
- Briefly describe the characteristics of the minority group.
- What opportunities do you see for improving the health of this group?
- How would you communicate their healthcare needs to people of authority? Use titles instead of names to identify these individuals.
- What is the role of the BSN-prepared nurse in enhancing communication skills related to cultural needs of this minority population?
DeVry NR391Week 4 Discussion
Common Illnesses and the Use of CAM (graded)
Our patients come to us after exploring various avenues of self-help. At times, these avenues involve the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies. Select a common (or not so common) illness/ or condition that affects a specific ethnic group/ or cultural group or vulnerable population.
1. Name the condition/ or illness and the group/ or population.
2. Identify two (2) CAM therapies that patients are likely to try before seeking (or in addition to) allopathic, osteopathic, or ayurvedic medical intervention for the illness or /condition.
3. Discuss the effectiveness of each therapy you identified.
4. Describe how you would answer an individual who asks you for your professional advice about the use of these CAM therapies.
Note:Do not discuss an illness/ or condition about which a classmate has already posted. The diversity will lead to a more robust discussion. There are many examples you may discuss, including sickle- cell disease in African Americans, constipation in the elderly people, or the use of Reiki for mental and emotional healing by Japanese people. Think of others from your practice settings or prelicensure experiences.
DeVry NR391Week 5 Discussion
Transcultural Perspectives Across Lifespan (graded)
Select and read ONE of the chapters of particular interest to you listed in Assignments under Required Readings. Discuss what information you should obtain to develop and implement culturally appropriate care plans for an individual of this group. A brief case study or exemplar may be one way to present your information. For example, how would you provide culturally- appropriate care for an elderly female who is Muslim and presents to the Emergency Department with chest pain?
DeVry NR391Week 6 Discussion
Standards of Practice (graded)
The basis for our lesson this week came from the Standards of Practice for Culturally Competent Nursing Care Executive Summary, Transcultural Nursing Society: http://www.tcns.org/TCNStandardsofPractice.html.
Your nursing leader has decided that the department needs to better incorporate these Standards of Practice for Culturally Competent Nursing Care into the nursing care delivery model at your organization. There are 12 Standards.
Read the Executive Summary.
Select ONE one of the 12 Standards in the Summary.
Does your department or /organization currently give credence to this standard? If so, how? Think about the standards as they relate to culturally sensitive care.
If not, offer suggestions of how the standard can be incorporated into patient care or your organization as a whole.
Note: There are 12 standards, so make sure you choose a standard that another student has not described. We all have different takes on a standard so the standard should be specific for the patient population or organization. The typical number of students in a class means that we should only read about a particular standard twice. And, keep in mind that each of us does not work in an acute care setting, so examples from other practice settings will add to our discussion.
DeVry NR391Week 7 Discussion
Workforce Diversity (graded)
As nurses, we often work with physicians or other healthcare team members whose native language is not English. In fact, some of you may have interview