"Our Prices Start at $11.99. As Our First Client, Use Coupon Code GET15 to claim 15% Discount This Month!!"
- Assignment 1: LASA 2—Prevention Strategies
Treatment programs cannot always be 100% effective, and many substance abusers relapse into drug abuse after days, months, or even years of sobriety. With the marginal success of treatment programs, it is even more important that people never start using drugs. As such, prevention strategies are of utmost importance.Case Study Part III
Aaliyah had been taking amphetamines regularly for two months and had been experiencing the physiological, psychological, and toxic effects of chronic amphetamine use. She had started drinking alcohol to help her sleep at night.
One morning she was driving to work and feeling the effects of a hangover from the night before. She was not concentrating on the road, and ran into the back of a car that had stopped in front of her. Luckily, none of the people involved in the accident was seriously injured.
This incident served as a “wake up call” for Aaliyah, and she decided to get help for her problems. However, because she is now using both amphetamines and alcohol, she is not sure what treatment program to enter.
Aaliyah would like to help other people avoid the troubles caused by drugs. She would like to give a presentation at her college to discuss her experiences and give students several prevention options, as well as ways to tell if their friends or loved ones have a drug problem.
Review the case study. Using your module readings and the Argosy University online library resources, research methods of increasing awareness about substance abuse and dependence.
Develop a PowerPoint presentation including the following:
- Identify and describe two prevention strategies.
- Explain ways of determining whether loved ones have a problem with drugs using the current DSM characteristics of substance use disorders.
- Address the effectiveness of current treatment strategies in the United States.
- Explain polysubstance abuse.
- Address the possible treatment options and treatment difficulties for someone who is dependent on two substances.
- Develop an 8–10-slide presentation (complete with speakers notes) in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Be sure to include a title slide and a list of references. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A1.ppt. By the due date assigned, deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area .
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria Maximum PointsIdentified and described 2 prevention strategies60Explained ways of determining whether loved ones have a problem with drugs using the current DSM characteristics of substance use disorders52Address the effectiveness of current treatment strategies in the United States56Explained polysubstance abuse.20Addressed the possible treatment options and treatment difficulties for someone who has dependence on two substances48Style (8 points): Tone, audience, and word choice
Organization (16 points): Introduction, transitions, and conclusion
Usage and Mechanics (16 points): Grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
APA Elements (24 points): Attribution, paraphrasing, quotation64Total:300