Overview: In the following scenario, place yourself in the role of a newly promoted first-line supervisor (sergeant) at a police department. You will write a memorandum to the deputy police chief regarding the following scenario and what actions you will take to address the issues you identify.
You have become aware that some officers in the department are using their badge and identification to receive free or discounted food and drinks at various establishments in and near your community. There are rules and regulations that regulate and prohibit officers from using their official capacity as police officers for financial gain. However, you are also aware that this is a long-standing practice and is widespread across the department including some officers in command positions. There have been no complaints from the public that have been brought forward that you are aware of, but you believe that this ethical problem undermines the reputation of the department and its officers.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
In a memorandum please address the following critical elements.
1. Identify the ethical dilemma presented.
2. What implications may this have on the police department as a whole?
3. What ethical concerns are there for the community in this situation? Why is it important to address this issue?
4. Propose how you would deal with this situation and what preventive steps you would take to ensure this does not occur again.
5. Articulate how the preventive steps you would take impact the performance of the police officers and improve their ability to address the problem and work more effectively.
6. Be sure to support your answer with scholarly evidence from the text or outside sources
Law homework help