Answers must be paraphrased (restated in your own words with no quoting permitted), properly APA format source credited – including within-answer citations and a list of references included at the end of each answer – and at least 600 words each, not counting source citations and references. Answers should be succinct, thorough, articulated in well-organized paragraphs (lists, sentence fragments and bulleted items are not permitted), and more substantive than just definitions of terms, procedures, or issues.
To complete this exam, save a copy of the attached file on your hard drive, construct your answers below each question on a separate page per question, attach a cover page to the front and a reference list to the end (references must also be placed at the end of each question for which they were used) and upload it under the Midterm Exam assignment tab.
1. Psychological abnormality may include concerns with concepts such as deviance, distress, dysfunction, and danger. First, briefly explain what each term means from your perspective in the context of psychopathology. Then, for each term, provide a specific example of when it (e.g., distress) would be considered “normal” and, separately, an example of when it would be considered “abnormal.” Finally, explain why it is important to understand this distinction.
2. Your nephew is taking Intro to Psych as a high school senior and is confused about which of the theoretical models is “best” at explaining abnormality. Describe for him, in no more than 100 words per model and using terms he (as a layperson) can understand, at least three models of abnormality. Then, briefly answer his question – which model do you think is best and why? Be sure to support your answer with reference material.
3. Answer both parts of this question. Imagine you are an intake clinician at a community mental health clinic:
a. If you had 30 minutes to conduct a preliminary clinical interview, what information would you be sure to try to get, and why? Be sure to support your answer using the reading materials in the course.
b. You’ve been tasked to give a lecture to new clients explaining the format and major characteristics of DSM-5. What are the main points you want to be sure to cover
4. For EACH of the following disorders, characterize three specific factors you believe are most important for a basic understanding of them. Be sure to justify your choices using only about 100-150 words for each:
3. ObsessiveCompulsiveDisorder 4. Post-TraumaticStressDisorder 5. SomaticSymptomDisorder
5. Discuss the variables found in the research that have been found to correlate with an increased risk for suicidal ideation, attempts and completion. What types of psychopathology have been associated with an increased risk for suicide? Why might that be the case?